Charm squares quilt pattern

This is my go-to gift for newborns.   It makes an ideal pram rug, floor mat for tummy time or a great tablecloth for your teddy bears picnic.  

I tend to be a little casual with seam allowances once I am comfortable - as long as you use the same width all the time for the whole project, this pattern is very forgiving.  

As a small quilt, this also doesn't use much backing fabric so I can use a fun coordinating print or contrast with something completely different.  I can select from any quilting fabric and I don't have to use a specific wide-back fabric where the choices are more limited.  

I usually sew this with a charm pack as I know the fabric range will work together and I can just sew merrily along without a layout.  I usually halve the pile and turn one over so that I am getting random pairs together.  

Now that I have learned how to make my own bias binding and just how little fabric it actually takes to make metres of it I can't wait to make another charm squares quilt.  

Here are some I made years ago - I'll try and update this post with better photos when I can find them!  

The possibilities are endless once you have the basics understood.  You can easily experiment with other items - like the cushion cover below, or adding a border.  

Enjoy my tutorial - Charm squares quilt pattern.  



quilt ready for a gift...

quilt for G 2013 (sorry not sure on fabric)

  
2014 quilt - I was able to find this is Moda Oasis by Three Sisters fabric

2014 bright fabrics with wavy quilting


2014 scrap fabric quilt with a border

2012 cushion cover brights with applique 'S'


Comments