Charm Plus quilt pattern

I have been wanting to make a small quilt in this design and never seemed to get around to it...so I made the time and put in the effort.

Here she is.

I did have to use my unpicker as I was carried away and sewed row 7 and 8 together at the wrong side.  Plus my fabric is directional (and I carefully pieced these this way) so I couldn't simply reverse the order of all rows ðŸ˜• oh well - it will make me check a second time next time I make it!

The binding is a coordinating fabric.  This is a 56 square pattern and I've made the top and binding from 6 fat quarters.  It is a great way to get coordinating fabric - knowing it will all go well together.  The fabric range is Riley Blake's Scoot by Deanna Rutter and is from years ago.   It has gorgeous line drawings of different transport vehicles and then some prints to coordinate - like the trains, dots, helicopters and coloured vehicles.  There are also prints with words relating to transport and vehicles and some solids.

The quilt top is approximately 30 1/2" x 34 1/2" and is made from 5" squares laid out in seven columns and eight rows.  These fat quarters were on the smaller side - more like only just 18" x 21".  If your fat quarters are larger or you are using fabric by the metre/yard you can make 5.5" squares from a similar amount of fabric carefully cut.  I've calculated I need about 132" of binding.  I carefully made my binding to fit the parallelogram so it is just under 2" width binding.  This meant that I managed to make a whole 177" of binding which is a great amount to use on this quilt top.  With all my little binding scraps I will end up with a crazy binding for a project one day!  Reminder: Binding tutorial here


There were a few scraps from cutting the squares too, I'm not sure yet whether I will use these in the backing or not!

If you want to make one too, feel free to layout your + plus shapes in a similar way - and here is a pattern for you to make your own Charm plus quilt!




charm plus quilt

binding

Comments